<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday

Went to school at 10 am in the morning, rather uneventful, did some research on the pneumatics, but was really looking forward to the rugby match afterwards. Peadra the Assimilated touched up his Borg Cube and Lim the Silent touched up his Super Duper Sumobot, but my Cheese still managed to beat them both. We're thinking of putting the bots out for adoption for our NJRC teams. Think! is very interested in my Cheese, and I think QC4:IC will want the Super Duper Sumobot, and someone will want the Borg Cube too. Chairman Joe spent his day in the lab playing Gunbound, and I assisted him by typing in snide yet cheem remarks at the opponent.

Edmundo the Broken-Armed was kind enough to give me and Lim the Silent a lift to the Police Academy for the 'B' division Rugby finals. It was the big one: the Saint Andrew's Saints (SAS) versus the Anglo-Chinese School Infidels (ACSI). ACSI had been winning for eons and we had been second to them for eons too. It's about time we reclaimed our trophy.

Both sides enter the pitch familiarly, both haven't conceded any points in their run-up to this finals. ACSI had been keeping a clean sheet for years. The entire Police Academy was swamped with blue and white. We sure know how to intimidate. We did our haka before the match started. We were ready.

We had the majority of the chances in the first half. We were charging and ACSI couldn't stop us. Just about 5 minutes into the game, ACSI's clean slate was marred. A searing run down the left flank was stopped by a good tackle, but the ball was quickly distributed back to centre, and would you believe it...Rivaldo scored from a drop kick. There was a moment of silence around the Police Academy. Then, the whole ground shook as the Saints celebrated their first points against the reigning champs.

ACSI - 0
St. Andrew's - 3

ACSI then went on the offensive, but we continued to defend, and took advantage of their slips. Rivaldo was in fine form, punting away balls to touch. Before long, we were back in their territory. After a series of good passes, the ball ended in the gloves of Lai Wei, who carried the ball into the try area and stuck his tongue out with a wry grin and shook his head before thumping the ball down in front of the posts, performing the first try celebration I have ever seen thus far. Rivaldo finished things off with the conversion. The Police Academy was in uproar.

ACSI - 0
St. Andrew's - 10

The schools were deadlocked after that try, ACSI still trying to penetrate us, we still trying our luck. Eventually, the half-time whistle blew. The Police Academy was a cacophony of noise. I was running around like a madman.

Soon, the teams were out again for the second half. ACSI immediately went on the offensive. We were having a hard time containing them. Tackles were flying everywhere. ACSI spent most of the half in our territory. Eventually...ACSI got a red card. They were 1 player down. They continued to push. Eventually, they got their try. A quickly taken free kick caught the SAS defence napping, and a couple of last ditch tackles could not prevent the try. Mara Fahmy the Traitor finished off business with the conversion.

ACSI - 7
St. Andrew's - 10

ACSI continued to push, and were denied twice by last ditch saving tackles. We also had our time, making inroads through the flanks and Rivaldo's punts upfield. Then, God spoke to me. He said, "Don't worry, we'll win." I said, "I'll have your word on that one..." After a nail-biting final few minutes, the whistle blew, and history was made. St. Andrew's have overthrown the powerhouses ACSI. The look on the faces of the SAS defectors was priceless, almost saying, "If only I stayed in SAS..." In seconds, the pitch was filled with blue and white striped shirts, all hollering the school song: "PLAY THE GAME (RUGBY) KEEP THE FLAME BURNING BRIGHTLY EEEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEER! DUM DA DUM, DUM DA DUM, DUM, DUUUUUUUUUUM DUUUUUUUUUUUM!" History was made, and there was great rejoicing, and celebrations will ring late into the night...

...which was exactly what I did. Despite the traffic jam, I made it to VCH in half an hour to watch Joshua the Soloist's School's Choir's Concert with Mich the Rugger, Yiwei the Violinist, Owen the Liverpool Striker, and another of Mich the Rugger's classmates. Or choirmates. I'm not so sure myself. Anyway, the choir was pleasantly entertaining for the first few minutes, after which it would only be pleasantly entertaining if your eyes were shut. The choir proved once again that an all boys choir doing choreography is akin to suicide, except it's worse, because the audience gets dragged down too. In addition, the MCs would have been entertaining if they didn't make it so darn obvious they were reading from a script. They also repeated the line, "Presenting the Victoria School Choir!" a total of 5 times in the first half. Standouts in the first half include Amazing Grace, in which the second soloist's microphone failed to work, Can't Help Falling in Love With You, a beautiful song with instinctively eye-shutting choreography, Jamaican Farewell, a Jamaican folk melody with a catchy, addictive tune and even worse choreography, and El Punto Guanasteco, a lively traditional Costa Rican piece arranged by Ronaldo.

Now onto the second half, which started off with a special item by the Alumni choir, who showed everyone that you don't need a script to talk onstage. "If you open your booklet, you will see there under Intermission, there's a special item by the Alumni choir, and we are the special item." I could not have said it more eloquently myself. They did the the usual Alumni stuff, Only You and Longest Time, but the highlight of their performance was Breakfast at Tiffany's. Discounting the fact that they needed to repeat it 2 times before getting it right, when they did get it right, it was toe-tapping stuff. One of the most entertaining songs of the night. What followed was the musical, "Lev Yashin in England". There was a guy decked in black, who is obviously Lev Yashin, and a couple of people with a red cross over their chest, who are obviously English footballers. Highlights include a dead body squirming offstage, as well as a particularly entertaining 'Oops' part.

All in all, the concert was great fun, and I really wanted to stick around a bit longer to tell Joshua the Soloist how much I enjoyed it, but I had to rush off to meet my father and eat dinner. We went to the National Library hawker centre and I had a nice plate of Fried Rice, after which we went back home.

Thank you God for being with me today, thank you for helping us win ACSI, and thank you for talking to me again.


He Has Made Me Glad

I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart
I will enter His courts with praise
I will say this is the day that the Lord has made
I will rejoice for He has made me glad

He has made me glad
He has made me glad
I will rejoice for He has made me glad
He has made me glad
He has made me glad
I will rejoice for He has made me glad

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?